Wednesday, September 8, 2010

23 More Sleeps

The planning is going at a relaxed pace at this point. A colleague has informed me that he has contacts in Dublin with whom he will get me in touch with so that I can do a little bit of serving, ie volunteering, during my time in Europe. I've become stuck on a Bible passage recently: James 1:19-27, which states that we should be doers, and it also gives us a reminder that the most tangible way to love people the way Jesus does is to look after the 'orphans and widows'. I personally believe that I ought to be giving back, and travelling is no excuse for me not to.

I had pictures taken today for my International Driving Permit. I'm still deciding whether I will rent a car in Ireland to more efficiently see the countryside and less-touristy places. There is this thing called the "Young Driver Surcharge", which essentially penalizes 23- and 24-year-olds for renting a car, to the tune of €10 per day. That's almost as much as the cost to rent a vehicle per day to begin with! Argh!

I've decided on my main footwear and acquired a sweet jacket for my backpacking adventures. Things are coming along well! I'm getting met with a lot of encouragement and optimism from the people around me, with the exception of, I don't know, let's say 4 individuals in my life!! haha. But I know they are only thinking of my well being.

1 comment: