Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hiya from Ireland



My apologies for anyone who was waiting for an update... I've been pretty busy, aside from today.

My first 3 nights were in Dublin. I don't know if I ever got fully comfortable there, but it had its moments. Some of the highlights included going for a walk and losing my way as it started to get dark, visiting a pub with an Irish acoustic guitar band, seeing Kilmainham jail, and going to the Old Jameson Distillery. The hostel was decent--the staff were amazing and I was able to lock my things up in the room. I haven't been able to do that since.

The next 3 nights were in Belfast. The train ride was so peaceful. I still can't get over all the livestock you see in the countryside as you travel the highways or on rail--I don't think the Irish know anything about cramming cattle into tiny stalls. The best part of all is the sheep, especially when you see one laying down and sleeping.

Belfast was very interesting. First off, I had a bad experience with a fellow Canadian whom I met at the hostel. We went to a pub and then a bar after, and it turned out that he was a total sleaze. I learned my lesson though. Also, I knew there had been political violence in Belfast, but I never knew to what extent. They have murals everywhere commemorating various things, including the building of the Titanic.

While I was in Belfast, I took a day tour to see some things on the coast. It was so beautiful. The tour also stopped in Derry, the scene of Bloody Sunday (referenced in the U2 song of similar name). The hostel I stayed at in Belfast was a joke and I wouldn't stay there again!

I took a train from Belfast back to Dublin, and the sight of Dublin made me want to see it again, which I have the opportunity to do in a few days. Once in Dublin, I had to hop onto the Luas (tram) to switch train stations, and catch a train to Galway. Unfortunately, I was waiting at the wrong stop and missed the first bus. I noticed two women who looked just as confused as me, so I talked to them and found out they were trying to go the same way as me. Eventually we figured it out, but time was running out to get to the next station and catch the Galway train. It ended in a full out sprint, during which I almost twisted my ankle trying to run with a 30lb backpack on. I made the train, along with one of the women. I had a great conversation with her about the Republic of Ireland vs Northern Ireland (UK).

I made it to Galway, and the guy at the front desk is from Winnipeg. Unbelievable. I booked a tour for the Cliffs of Moher for today, but ended up skipping it in favour of taking a break and relaxing. I'll be taking the tour tomorrow instead. I searched the internet to see if there was a bead store nearby, and there was! I headed over there, bought some beads, and then got a mocha at a coffee shop and started working on a couple of pieces. Also, there was a little black cat who almost came through the kitchen window at the hostel. Awww! I miss Sasha and Leila! And my birds too!

The hostel I'm at in Galway is like a palace compared to the last one I stayed in. It is so clean and modern, and the WIFI actually works. Downside--some 60 year old man is staying in this room. This dude is an accomplished snorer, and when he tries to talk to me in his thick Irish accent, I have to get him to repeat it a few times. Happily, 5 American girls showed up today so I'm not all alone this time around.

Things I'm having trouble adjusting to (but am not complaining about):
- Everything closes so early
- It's hard to come by a McDonalds (yes I know I shouldn't be concerning myself with that, but I can't help it)
- The air is so full of smog... or something or other. I can tell.
- I can't get my socks to smell clean

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are meeting different people and learning your way around. Glad to see a post from you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey I just love the socks comment.... My problem was socks and shoes! Next trip to europe i will take along dr. Scholls footspray! I'm so glad you are having a really great time. Though make some time for England, because the history there is incredible!! Can't wait to hear all about the trip when i'm back in the peg in Jan. .....Be safe girlie! Love you, Auntie iris xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Do they celebrate Thanksgiving in Ireland?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, Thanksgiving isn't celebrated over here. It's a shame really, you seem to have a lot more celebrations in Canada than we do. Ooooo I hope you're having fun love, I can't wait to meet you, I'm getting really nervous :o)

    ReplyDelete